Monday, January 3, 2011

Door turned Vanity

Ok, so this is not a unique idea, but it is definitely a piece in my house that lives true to my home design motto, a quote by William Morris, "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

I bought my first home a few years ago, a Bungalow style home built in 1919, in Midtown Memphis. It was a dump when I bought it, but I poured countless hours into fixing it up. I sold it to my best friend when I got married, but I got to take one piece of it with me...an original door.

I have an obsession with doors and windows, among a few other things, so when I found this door in the garage/shed laying on top of the rafters, I was overjoyed. I turned it into a vanity, and it is one of my favorite (and most useful) pieces of furniture in my home.

Here are some before photos:

I added a shelf...

with drawers

The drawers don't hold as much as I'd like, but still useful...

What a beautiful door!

Here are some after photos:

I added knobs for necklaces and put a mirror and my earring holder above the shelf


I painted the drawer fronts my favorite green and added some bronze knobs

I attached hooks below to hold my scarf collection
Bonus: it showcases the scarves like artwork and adds a lot of color!


P.S. It is even going to look better when I figure out how to attach all the old doorknobs I found at Water Works.

P.P.S. I apologize for the low quality photographs. I'm not a photographer, but my sister is. So if you'd like to see good photos, visit her website:
http://www.raganoswaltphotographer.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment